Saturday, February 19, 2011

Grateful, if Still a Bit Shaken

I was on my way to the hospital yesterday for my weekly appointments when I got into a car accident on the highway. Definitely one of the scariest episodes of my life.
I got to the hospital as soon as I could and was admitted to Triage then eventually moved to a room in Labor and Delivery where I was under observation and testing for four hours.
The baby is doing just fine. I'm feeling much calmer this morning but despite a decent night's rest I still feel very tired. I'm under instructions to take it very easy and see no reason to dispute that!

I have a history of quick reflexes and thinking that get me out of bad driving situations; this was my first accident in over twenty years, I just wish if it had to happen it wasn't while I'm pregnant.
But this had an element of something else. I was driving in heavy commuter traffic in the far left lane and in order to avoid an even bigger crash I swerved into the middle lane. Amazingly, I didn't cause another crash and it seemed within seconds the traffic had thinned so much that I easily moved into the breakdown lane without any trouble.
The other car had no damage but mine has some. I have a small sports car and hit a very large SUV, right on the corner of its bumper.

As I moved over to the breakdown lane I felt sharp back pain and uterine pain. I was in shock, not thinking straight, but I had this laser focus on the idea that I had to get to the hospital and protect the baby. I was asked on the phone if I was feeling the baby move. No, I wasn't, and that was very scary, even though I knew things could still be ok and I wasn't far from help, it was still frightening.
By the time I got to Triage I was not only in a lot of pain but was crying my eyes out and in a panic, despite my use of deep breathing exercises. I wish I was a bit more stoic in these crises but I've found being pregnant adds a whole new dimension that I've never experienced before and it can be overwhelming.

My friend Marty came down and stayed with me the entire time. Having her support helped a great deal but I was in such a state that it took a long time to calm down--my blood pressure was the highest it's ever been. I still had moments last night when I would cry, in part due to a sense of relief. When I think what could have been...
I don't believe in God but I do believe there was a force at work yesterday that was protecting us, and it's not the first time I've experienced that. There's just so much in this universe that is bigger us.

I was so sick yesterday morning. Couldn't stop throwing up and I was so exhausted and in pain. I canceled an appointment to visit a daycare center but kept the doctor appointment because I really wanted to talk to my primary doctor about the cesarean option, among other things. Hindsight being what it is, I wish I had asked a neighbor to take me, but it honestly didn't occur to me at the time.

I'm looking forward to a quiet, uneventful day--with no driving. Fingers crossed that's what I get.

3 comments:

  1. How scary!!! So glad you're okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every bride has their own color, and some dynamic, some dazzling colorful, full of love ... ... and some colors are the future of each symbol, depicting the bride's future.
    Wedding Dresses
    Thanks for your sharing! I am pleased to share my joy with you?

    ReplyDelete